If you are any age up to 17 and look after someone with a physical or mental health problem, you might not think of yourself as a carer but you probably are. There is a whole community of young people like you facing the same day-to-day issues and Harrow Carers are here to support you if you or the person you care for live in Harrow.
What is a Young Carer?
A young carer is defined in the following way:
A young carer is a young person aged up to 17 who is providing unpaid care for a person that an adult would normally provide, that has a physical or mental health problem including autism, dementia and learning disabilities, or is dependent due to age, substance misuse, long-term or terminal illness.
As a young carer, you can find helping someone very rewarding, but you also have the right to be looked after. If you are a young carer, find out what support you can access.
How do we Support Young Carers?
All services and activities are free for young carers up to 17 years of age:
- We offer drop-ins at schools, helping your school understand about your role as a young carer and providing practical support and advice in a confidential environment
- We offer monthly outings, activities and educational events to give you a break from your caring role and introduce you to other young carers who may be going through something similar
- During half-term breaks and summer holidays, we offer residential trips, fun activities and educational events.
- 1 to 1 support according to your need
- We offer family support including home visits where appropriate
And much more…
If you feel you are a young carer call us on 0208 868 5224 (ext. 226). Alternatively, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why not support us?
Every donation helps; whether it’s a one-off contribution like a legacy donation or a monthly direct debit. Your donations can help us create new services and provide better support to our carers. From complementary therapies to counselling and training for carers, your help can go a long way. Additionally, we have a number of ways you can fundraise by simply thinking of us when you go about your day-to-day lives!