What is Working for Carers?
Working for Carers is a London-wide project that supports unpaid carers, aged 25 or over, to move closer to employment. The project is led by Carers Trust and delivered by its network of 24 partners across London. Working for Carers is funded by the European Social Fund and The National Lottery Community Fund.
What we have achieved
At the end of March 2020, 875 carers and former carers had registered with the project. The registered carers are from all 33 London boroughs. Of these:
- 20% have moved into employment
- 59% have accessed training, and 103 have moved into education or training.
- 48% have been supported to job-search; 96 are job-searching independently.
- 16% have undertaken volunteering.
Participants who find a job or take part in job-searching or education/training complete a satisfaction survey. Of these:
- 89% said their confidence had improved
- 84% said they had gained new skills
- 59% have accessed support with their own health and wellbeing
Why we do it
Unpaid carers are often invisible while they make an incredible contribution to their family, friends and the society. Most of their lives are based around the person they look after, and our aim is to look after them. Our mission is to help carers see the value in themselves, increase their motivation and energy and take back the control of their life.
What we do
- Support carers to pursue their employment goals through confidence building and skills development.
Offer a flexible service that considers individual needs and ambitions.
- Engage with local businesses and organisations to create employment, training and volunteering opportunities for carers.
- Highlight the benefits of employing carers, adopting carer friendly policies, and understanding the needs of carers in the workplace.
How we do it
We provide carers with free support, designed to meet their individual needs and delivered in their local area. This includes:
- One to one support and advice with a dedicated Employment Personal Advisor
- Group activities and training workshops
- Assistance with writing CVs and interview techniques
- Help with job search
- Access to employment, volunteering and training opportunities
Who we can help
- unpaid carer or former carer
- aged 25 and over
- living in London
- not in any paid work
To find out more about our free services, please use the below call us on 020 8868 5224 Ext 218 or email email@example.com
For carers in Barnet, Brent, Ealing, Enfield, Hammersmith & Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Hillingdon or Hounslow:
Tel: 020 8868 5224 Ext 218
For carers in Barking and Dagenham, Greenwich, Hackney, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets or Waltham Forest:
Tel: 020 8514 6251
For carers in Camden, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton, or Westminster:
Tel: 020 7428 8950
For carers in Bexley, Bromley, Croydon, City, Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark or Wandsworth:
Tel: 020 8699 8686